Thursday, August 18, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

 We tried this recipe on www.hillbillyhousewife.com (CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE)  to make our own liquid laundry soap.  The articles I've read on numerous websites report that this method only costs 2 cents per load, whereas even the worst and cheapest detergent at most stores averages at 9 cents per load.  This is pretty substantial in my mind so I had to try it.

Here is the grating of the soap (I didn't use Fels Naptha because I wanted to try a local soap first).


 Here is the mixture heating and the ingredients minus the bar soap (in the pot).  I got the washing soda and borax at our local grocery store.
Here it is cooling.

RESULTS:

The process took a total of 10 minutes to make 2.5 gallons.  It was cheap, easy, and we are now through with the 2.5 gallons of laundry soap.  It worked TERRIFIC on all our clothes including the diapers.  I will never buy soap again.  This is easy and cheap and smells GREAT.



Next post...our new concentrated powdered version of homemade laundry detergent.

No comments:

Post a Comment