Monday, April 14, 2014

We are Brother Chicory



I can't help but feel like we've been hibernating for a while.  The last year has been the most stationary experience we've had in almost a decade.  We have been on a pilgrimage and have chosen to live in tents, to move around, to find ourselves and the nature of love, to meet people and learn about them, to live in cities and on farms and many places in-between.

We are currently in North Carolina and getting ready for a nice break from a home-life.  More to come.  The kids are growing, the music is flowing and things have seemed to take a very new turn for the better (not that we had anything to complain about).

So what comes next?
 Well, I promise...I'll start posting regularly again.  I took an intentional (two years) break from much personal technological endeavors (blogging and selling Etsy stuff).  We have gained focus and direction.  The experience has been enlightening.  

For a long time I've felt like the music we played was something I had no choice in, as in, I couldn't stop writing and playing, but I didn't necessarily feel like I was totally into it as a listener.  One of our main meditational tasks has been to develop our creative expression.  For the first time, we have a slew of songs that feel truly personal and enjoyable.

Mike playing the banjo has been a large part of learning how to work together better.  He is doing so well, and I am excited to be sharing the composition process with him now.  We've got a song coming together right now that is so much more technical than anything we've ever done.  And it is so exciting.

We're ready now.  We have a big 10 week bicycle-trip coming up.  We are trying to figure out how to bring music with us.  Even if it means playing smaller instruments that we may not be great at playing.  I just don't think we can do without.

It's been a long time coming and we've got a long way to go.

We are Brother Chicory; a band and a family of adventurous musicians and life livvers.

No comments:

Post a Comment